Background & Approach
Erin is well versed in nonprofit writing across departments and sectors. She has worked with organizations ranging from large, national foundations to small, community nonprofits. She understands the importance of language as it pertains contextually to the cultural and regional significance of the work, and how to meaningfully express need as well as demonstrate success to a number of specific audiences (senior foundation leaders and new, potential donors, for example).
Through her writing, Erin can translate complex ideas into digestible marketing/communications materials, accurately portray personal as well as prevalent experiences, and recount the nuanced effects of an organization's work at a multilayered, community level as well as at a high — gala cocktail hour sort of — level.
Freelance Writing Services for Nonprofits
I. Impact Storytelling: Developing Qualitative Evidence of the Work
- Result: A deepened understanding of organizational scope that can be seen by funders, staff, and potential donors. It's easy to get bogged down in the details and overlook the forest — you know the one sprouting an incredible amount of lush, green proof that all that strategic planning is actually paying off. More specifically, the result will be qualitative evidence of the work that clearly and uniquely highlights the organization's multifaceted impact.
- Approach: Conduct in person or phone interviews with beneficiaries, volunteers, and employees based on questions designed to understand not only how involvement with the organization has impacted their life, but also why — what came before it, and how those experiences have shaped whatever may be coming next.
- Deliverable: A neatly designed portfolio of stories that paint a full picture of organizational impact and its ripple effect in the lives of the beneficiaries, in the lives of the employees and volunteers doing the work, and in the communities on the whole.
II. Integrating the Impact: Proposals & Reports
- Result: A streamlined method for generating well written, well researched proposals and reports that integrates rich, pertinent evidence of the work.
- Approach: Fulfill current organizational needs by addressing pending proposal and report writing deadlines while simultaneously looking across the organization to understand how best to simplify and enrich the process down the line. This may include brief interviews with the development team to asses the types of proposals and reports that are most often undertaken and required, and/or, a thorough examination of previously submitted materials.
- Deliverable: Well written, well researched proposals and reports, and clear, neatly designed, proposal and report templates that can be used in the future.
Clients have included:
- Breathe California, a statewide, San Francisco based nonprofit.
- Coaching Corps, a national, Oakland based nonprofit.
- Envision Schools, a Bay Area charter school system.
- Girls Incorporated of Alameda County, a nationally affiliated, Oakland based nonprofit.
- Informing Change, a strategic consulting firm for nonprofits and philanthropic organizations.
- Intercultural Outreach Initiative, a conservation and education focused nonprofit based in the Galapagos
- Hispanics in Philanthropy, a transnational, Oakland based nonprofit.
- Hoff Productions, a factual television company.
- Ryan Consulting, a Boston based nonprofit consulting group.
- Wisconsin Manufacturing Partnership, a not-for-profit consulting group for Wisconsin manufacturers.
Projects have included:
- Interviewing beneficiaries, volunteers, and employees, and writing detailed stories of impact.
- Researching and writing letters of inquiry and grant proposals to major foundations including the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the MacArthur Foundation, and the Evelyn and Walter Haas, Jr. Fund.
- Researching and writing grant and evaluation reports for major foundations including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, and The Atlantic Philanthropies.
- Writing short, factual television scripts.
California College of the Arts, San Francisco, CA
B.A. Writing & Government
University of Redlands, Redlands, CA